Monday, July 20, 2009

While we’re dreaming…

    It seems like everyone on the mountain is getting care packages these days. While I don't feel any immediate and pressing desire for things that are completely unavailable in country, there are some things, looking forward, that would be very very useful to have. It is in the spirit of un-abashedly jumping on the proverbial band-wagon that I publish this, The Official Wish-List:

  1. The largest tub of Peanut Butter available, I mean we're talking multiple-gallon-pump-handle-included here.
  2. Same thing but with hot sauce. The hot sauce here sucks, it's bitter and hurts my intestines. I think there may be formaldehyde in it, but you know me, I'll probably eat it anyway. Unless I have something else, and Dave's Insanity Sauce would do nicely ;-)
  3. Boxers… Mine are wearing thin and the stuff available at weekly souq is somewhat more than "gently" used if you get my drift. I would say that I'm a medium these days and continuing to shrink.
  4. Warm socks, in two months, when this hypothetical package arrives, it'll be fairly cold up here on the roof of North Africa.
  5. A good 8" chef's knife, the knives available here look like the ginsu infomercial guy would cut them in half to prove how sharp his knives are. This is to say that they are largely useless for any real cooking task; cutting things, for example.
  6. A high capacity USB with a hardware read-write lock on it. Your best bet would be to ask the guys at Best Buy what that means if it doesn't make sense to you.
  7. Annie's Mac n cheese various flavors
  8. Toothbrushes maybe three or four would keep me going for a while
  9. A French Press coffee maker
  10. A thermos
  11. Butterfingers, I don't care what size, I just miss them
  12. Any type of pork product you think would survive two months in the mail, pepperoni in log form; that sort of thing.
  13. Dried spices, mainly basil, five spice powder, and gumbo file. A few cans of thai curry paste would be nice too red or green I don't care either way, but my sitemate likes to make green curry.
  14. Books, good books, any books, picture books. Anything to stave off the boredom that includes words on paper in English.

Alright blog readers that's all I can think of for now. Keep in mind that this is a wish list not a need list. I can and will survive just fine without any of this stuff. That said a few people have asked me for my address so they can send stuff and what I would like. I would like to say in advance that I appreciate anything sent and will do my level best to reply in kind with postcards letters and whatnot. Some notes on mailing things to Morocco…DO NOT INSURE ANYTHING!!! They will make me pay a bribe for the amount of the insurance in US dollars, which I don't have access to. If something is in brand new packaging take it out and mark it used. Don't label stuff fragile, just pack it with the assumption that it will not be handled gently. Please don't send me anything that says alcohol, pork, Christian/Christ/Christianity, or has naked/racy pictures on the outside. I have to look the people I will pick this package up from in the eye for the next two years. Basically give no clue on the outside of the package that the contents are any more valuable or interesting than pencil shavings. Thanks again for anything you feel moved to throw into the mail. If you need my address you can feel free to contact me via Facebook or e-mail. I will not post that information on this oh-so-public forum for safety/security reasons. Peace out ya'll and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment